Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Very Latest News from a Long Way in the Past

I’m just rereading this blog before posting and it’s all a bit strange because I wrote it two weeks ago but had no internet to post it until now.       Maybe I will complement it with a second blog at the same time. Even so, here is the "latest" as it was many, many days ago:

I’ve spent years cockily going on about how lucky I am with planes and travel. I think it would be fair to say that after my journey here and thanks to French air traffic control, the balance has been well and truly restored. My 14.40 plane was postponed to 19.30 and then moved back to 15.30, meaning a dash to the airport without Gatwick Expresses because someone had jumped under one. When I arrived, security and check-in took several decades, there were a few billion people in the airport and my flight was nowhere to be seen.

At this point I treated myself to the pleasure of the airport lounge, which I really recommend. You pay £20 and you’ll eat that back in about 14 seconds with all the free food there is. Several promises of new information went unfulfilled and I started to wonder if I would actually get away at all, especially hearing that Ed, who was going to Barcelona from Manchester, had had his flight cancelled. Anyway, that was effectively home between 15.00 and 20.00, fully equipped with living room / cinema, kitchen / buffet, bathroom and sofa-bed (/ it was just a sofa but no one was stopping me). At 20.00 a gate was finally announced. I don’t know why, though. There was no plane, no staff and no point at all in being there. There was just a mass of angry, angry people. So I went back home, where they were showing Goldfinger.

                Enough, long story short the plane didn’t show up for a long, long time. Eventually we were told it would leave at 23.00. At 00.00 we were still at Gatwick. At 00.30 we were actually unbelievably in the sky. At 4.30am I was in Barcelona. With nowhere to stay. I didn’t imagine my first night in Barcelona would involve a slightly suspect cash-in-hand deal with the night guy for a room in an edge-of-town Travelodge but there you have it. Four hours later I sneaked out, without so much as a key to give back. So, after a hugely tiring, aggravating, hot-and-sticky making, stressful and difficult journey, the Barcelona adventure was finally underway.

                It’s now 1st July (happy birthday, mum) so I have a few days to report back on. Until last night, I was living with my friend Kwei, and his friends Ed, Sarah, Juan, Andres, Jacqueline and Steve. Having that flat as a place to stay was enjoyable and useful in equal measure. Lots of barbecue food was eaten and lots of football was watched. We went out a few times and they even offered an airbed for me to sleep on. I obliged for five days, which is almost certainly outstaying my welcome. Thanks, guys.

                During this time, three things happened. The first was that I had a chance to explore Barcelona again after a few years away and I do just love it. It has everything we tend to appreciate. Every single street is tree-lined and wide and open and flanked by smart shops and cafes and terraces, every building is perfect and has impressive balcony-covered façades, there are plenty of parks, it’s sunny, there’s a laid-back atmosphere, there are incredible monuments, the seaside is never too far away... I really hardly have a bad word to say about it. It must be one of the world’s greatest cities.

                The second thing is that I was able to start work. For anyone who doesn’t know but does care, it’s in a luxury real estate firm and I basically translate all of their property descriptions, website information, keywords and whatever else from Spanish into Russian. It’s relatively difficult but I feel I’m already improving a bit. I just need to improve enough before they realise I’m totally incapable. The office is a bit hot but otherwise it’s all good - they’re friendly enough and my four hour days are an absolute treat, meaning I have a lot of free time which I can only assume I’ll use productively.

                The third thing was the flat search. That’s a big word for contacting some people from a flat-share website, visiting one and taking it but I guess that says good things about this flat. The location is good – roughly equidistant between Kwei’s pad and work – and the flatmates are fine from what I can tell so far. It’s all newly furnished and kitted out and looking good. I only arrived and unpacked last night but I’m already delighted with it.


                The settling in process always feels a bit strange but with a flat I’m happy to be living in, work I’m happy to be doing, a city I’m happy to be spending time in and friends I’m happy to be spending time with, I really can’t see many better ways that one could spend 3 summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment