Tuesday 20 May 2014

I'm Too Hot.

That isn’t something I expected I’d be saying when I set off to come here on the 5th February after -18 degree conditions the week before. It’s absolutely perfect now. There’s not a cloud in the sky, it’s 25 degrees, there’s a light breeze and it’s perfect sunshine from 5am to 11pm. I have no shorts. It’s given me another chance to look around the city and make sure I’ve seen all that I want to see before I leave. And leaving is starting to feel quite imminent. I mean, it isn’t long. I’m aware that this evening I’m playing football for the penultimate time here, tomorrow I’m teaching one class the first of their last three lessons and that the box of oats that I just bought might be the last I buy in Petersburg.

“How do you feel about that?” I hear you ask. Well, actually not that bad. I don’t really know why. The weather here is perfect, my quality of life is very pleasant, the people I’m with are good company, I’m playing my sport and having fun, I’m keeping up to date with work and I’m liking teaching. There isn’t really anything that I’m not enjoying. It just feels like time to go home. I’m not wishing away the last two weeks – in fact I’m really keen to make the most of them. Even so, I’m looking forward to seeing England and everything in it again in 11 days’ time.

And then what? Well, I’m spending a large proportion of my time job-seeking for Spain this summer. It’s a bit of a nightmare and I’m an absolute idiot for leaving it so late. It’s definitely taught me a lesson in organisation. In fact, I’m finding it quite funny that I’m writing all these cover letters talking about my good organisational skills and efficient approach when actually I’m in a blind panic due to a lack of those things. Anyway, I’m not going to have too many regrets. Presumably I will find something / one of my applications will be successful and besides, there’s often a lot of pressure to prepare for the future but there’s not that much point if when you get there, all you’re going to think about is the next bit of future. I’m glad that I’ve concentrated on the Russia bit while I’ve been here and that it has been a success. That was excessively philosophical.

A quick round-up of things that have happened here, although as usual it’s more or less following my routine. We had an extra football session on Thursday and we were able to play outdoors, which was great. I taught Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday evening in quite a casual way, mainly practising stuff through games. I had an interview thing to find a Spain job on Tuesday, at which point unfortunately the ceiling of the flat started to rise up and down about 6 inches at a time for no apparent reason except to be distracting (it’s soft, I should add, but it was still weird). The overhead light in the kitchen set on fire when I boiled the kettle and some electricians came round, looked confused, broke it more, fixed it a bit, broke it again and then replaced it. I don’t know what else. All I know is that everything continues to go very well.


Enough. I think I’m going to try translating my blogs into my other languages because it was suggested by one of our teachers and I thought it was quite a good idea. I’m not sure if I’ll then upload them or not. If you think my next blog is written in strangely childish and simple English then you’ll know that I’ve had difficulty doing it. For now, it’s time to profiter bien from my last few days here.

No comments:

Post a Comment